Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Jose's: Out of the Way, Yes. Cheap Margaritas, again...Yes.

So I think its about time to start my quest for the "Best of" in mexican food. My big 3 are always the same: Guac, Margaritas, and Burritos, baby. So some lady friends of mine (namely Jensky, Packie and DD) have agreed to help me in my search across the city, and we started where the deals led us: Jose's Mexican Restaurant near Porter Square in Cambridge.

If you haven't heard of it yet, check out http://www.buywithme.com/ref/KPEP44PZ. We got $40 worth of food and drink at Jose's for $20. Love me some coupons...but enough of that, on to the good stuff:

Guac: I'm a bit of a stickler here...but I must say, it was pretty good! Good sized portion and pretty good consistency (though I like a little more chunk). Could use a little more "sass" though - maybe some more garlic, salt, cumin? Just needed something to spunk up the blandness of avocado. But overall pretty darn good - I'd give it a 7 (out of 10).

Margaritas: We were originally going to order a pitcher of the "flor de jamaica" but the waitress was kind enough suggest we give it a taste first. Look at this cute little display (and no charge!). Turns out - not the best flavor.


So in the end we went with La Especial. A $30 pitcher went a long way: I'd say about 10-12 glasses? Not too shabby! Margs weren't tooo strong, but I'm gonna give some points here for quantity - sooo also 7.




Burritos: Ehhh, not the best. Shredded chicken was dry and I had to ask for some sour cream to fix up the consistency. I don't have much else to say here...4.

Other things to note - this place is probably only worth your trip if you live or work in the area. It's almost a mile walk from Porter Square, so head over if you have a car after work sometime and grab a pitcher of margaritas and some guac.


Also, want to give props to this place for their wait staff - our waitress was great with the margarita samples, snappy with the food, and when she screwed up our bill (swiped our cards for someone else's bill, then had to ask for them back to do it again), she offered us 20% off our bill to make up for the inconvenience. Her sincerity and responsiveness got her the total price of the bill anyway - since the 20% was obviously coming out of her tip otherwise.

Hasta luego,
Little B


1 comment:

  1. Cumin in guac? Sounds really good. I may have to spice up my next batch--I'm usually a basic onion, lemon juice, avocado, tomato girl.

    ReplyDelete