Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Border Cafe may be the place to beat...

Since announcing my quest for the best Mexican food in the city, numerous people have recommended checking out Border Café in Harvard Square. It immediately scored points with me just for being super conveniently located, and I was anxious to try what everyone had been raving about.

I met up with Packie, DD, and Jensky around 6:30 and there was still plenty of room in the restaurant so we got a table downstairs right away. Apparently they don’t take reservations, and I did notice that the place filled up while we were there, so unless you want to wait in line, I would try to get there by 7.

It’s actually a really big restaurant, with some funky art smattering the walls, and a fun “margaritaville” style vibe. Definitely the kind of place you head to with a big group for a night of Mexican madness.

First things first, the service was excellent. DD and Jensky were the first two there and already had chips & salsa, waters, and margaritas by the time Packie and I showed up. Moments after joining them, we had the same. This is going to sound picky, but the free salsa at the beginning left something to be desired, chips were delish though. As per usual, we ordered some guac (homemade) right off the bat. I have to say…it was really good! Nice consistency, lots of garlic and other spices…maybe could have used a little more tomato and onion...but maybe I’m just looking for flaws. Overall, I give it an 8.5.

The margaritas were not too shabby either – good size, and great price (ranged from $6.50-$7.75). And of course, the most important test…I was feeling pretty good after two! Can’t beat that. I will say I found them a little sweet, which I originally blamed on the Contreau in my first one, but my second didn’t have any so I think their mix is on the sweeter side. But with size, price, and buzz-capability combined – these margs get an 8.5 as well.

Now on to the menu…I looked and looked, but where were the burritos?! Turns out, they offer an alternative called a “burro”, which is basically a big version of an enchilada. Smothered in cheesy goodness, and filled with chicken…there was nothing dry or un-tasty about this meal. The rice it came with was spiced up with some veggies and the girls agreed it was probably our favorite part! I will say that after a few bites, the enchilada sauce began to overtake the other flavors, but overall…very good! I give this pseudo-burrito meal an 8 (but at least one point of that is for the yummy rice). Couple of the girls tried the fajitas, which they both rated highly...but said they wished the onions had been cooked longer, and that they had been accompanied by some peppers.

Border Café did not disappoint. It’s definitely on the high end for Mexican food in the
city with regard to taste…and didn’t break the bank either. I would definitely recommend this for a group night out - great vibe to get the party started!

¡Arriba!

Little B

PS - Per request, I’d also like to mention that the chairs are kind of weird and have a wooden slat that pushes your back forward a bit…it’s the little things worth mentioning, you know? So bring a pillow if you’re sensitive…

1 comment: