Monday, August 30, 2010

Suburbs for Something Different: Acton Jazz Cafe is Worth the Trip

I realize you may think happy hour specials are #1 in my heart, but believe it or not, I can be swayed to shell out a couple bucks for a night of quality music in a classy establishment. The Acton Jazz Cafe - a mere 45 minutes from Boston - provides just that. Local musicians entertain a full house night after night and once you’ve been, you’re bound to be back.



The beer and wine menu runs about the same as Boston, with most beers around $5 and a glass of wine around $6.50 (actually pretty good for a classy joint). Their menu is a mix of bar fare and comfort food - I recommend the jalapeno poppers ($9), and I hear the spinach pesto lasagna is A+.


I’ve been to the Jazz Cafe a number of times and the music selection is always a treat. You can find the lineup of musicians (not all jazz - you’ll find blues and rock, too!) here: http://www.actonjazzcafe.com/event and they are even kind enough to post the cover charge so you will always be prepared. Last night, we listened to The Doug Lowe Jazz Group- acoustic guitar, stand up bass, drums, and 3 fantastic sax players, who I have the pleasure of knowing personally. Dennis Hurd and Doug Lowe (far left and far right respectively) are local residents with a not-so-local level of talent.


And I’ve yet to see a band play here that didn’t request special guest Greg Bloom (aka Frank the Horn) to grace the stage for a sax solo or two (right).

While it’s not exactly T-accessible, I can’t imagine I’m the only one who enjoys a relaxing night out of the city once in a while- you’ll find it at the Acton Jazz Cafe.

Groovy, baby...

Little B

No comments:

Post a Comment