Thursday, August 12, 2010

Gotta start somewhere...

So Im one of those people who gets a buzz from scrolling through the "things to do" section of Boston.com. Im a planner by nature and lucky for me, I live in a city full of plan-tastic opportunities (don't judge me for that adjective, its too early).


You can judge me for this though - Right now Im sitting here asking myself what my favorite thing to plan is and I cant even decide - dinner, happy hour, birthday parties?! Cheesy yes, but when all the planning is said and done and we finally meet up for our $7 pitchers of Bud Lite (Sidebar, if you're wondering) or the best sweet potato fries in town complimented by a delicious avacado'd california burger at Bukowski's (cash only but worth it)...there is nothing more satisfying.

I suppose its as good a time as ever, or perhaps even a little late to introduce myself. I go by Beth, but you can call me Little B, because honestly "Beth" just isnt cool enough even for my own blog.

So I grew up in the far of stix of New England and stumbled into the big city for some formal education just in time to watch the Red Sox break the curse. For those of you counting back, thats 2004. So, with 6 years of first hand Beantown experiences, including many a late night pizza run to Little Stevies, karaoke and beef skewers at Hong Kong - RIP :( - and a few more trips to the North End than my love handles would care to admit...here goes.


The plan from here is to share it all - best happy hour specials, worst place to bring a date, best late night chinatown establishment, worst red headed slut shot (it was really bad...), I will document as I discover.


Your comments and questions are welcome and encouraged!


Thanks for reading!


-Little B

3 comments:

  1. Hey Little B -

    Where is Bukowski's?

    ReplyDelete
  2. believe it or not, this little gem has two fantastic locations - my personal favorite is just off boylston st (mass ave end) on dalton st right by Kings...the other is in inman square in cambridge. both have great food and great brews! Enjoy!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there!

    Sorry this comment is a bit delayed, but I recently moved all the way out to CO so its been a bit crazy. However- I wanted to share a few places that are my Boston favorites for food & drink in hopes you'll check them out and enjoy them for me!

    I know you have checked out Italian tapas, but I have to say I prefer Spanish and the place I frequented was Toro in the South End. However, if you are looking for one of the best martinis in the city to have with tapas I would recommend Bar Lola and have a Lolita ($12 martini with an edible orchid... and yes I do eat my orchard if I'm paying that much lol).

    As for pizza and beer, my go to spot was always Penguin pizza in Brigham Circle. My personal favorite would be the blanco pizza with a La Fin Du Monde. They have a huge bottled beer selection and a "passport" challenge that if you complete will grant you an engraved glass mug (double pint I believe) permanently there which can be filled with any draft for $5. On a side note that might be a good post topic of best beer challenge in Boston because I know there are a few of them. However, at Penguin I do warn that the service is not always spectacular and there can be a huge crowd depending on the night.

    As I have a desire for excellent and unfortunately slightly pricey food, I have to mention my personal favorite restaurant in Boston and that is: Tremont 647. The type of food is labeled "Adventurous American" and I have had my best dinner as well as my best Sunday brunch here. I could talk about this place for paragraphs, but I'll refrain since this is already a super long comment.

    I'll keep to two other places I'd recommend checking out...

    First is my favorite daily breakfast- we all have our places for our morning breakfast sandwich and coffee (and boy do I wish the west coast understood the pleasures of Dunks!), but I have to say my favorite place to get it was Flour in the South End. They make hands down the best breakfast sandwich that consists of egg, arugula, tomato, choice of bacon or ham, and a dijon mustard on fresh baked bread. And they are also well known for their pastries and due my sweet tooth there are too many to mention- but their sticky bun beat Bobby Flay's on Throwdown.

    The second place (before I shut up because I could name places for hours and you're probably already hating me lol) is Intermission Tavern on Tremont by Emerson. This place has some of the best bar/pub/tavern food in the city. Their boneless jamacian jerk wings with coconut lime dipping sauce and sweet potato waffle fries are just as amazing as their Texas Burgah. And did I mention they serve this amazing food until 1:00 am?

    Alright- now that I've probably provided you with too much reading, eating, and work, I'll head out and back to trying to find some sort of decent food in Denver and working on my own blog.

    Give a wicked Hello to the Beantown for me!

    Ashley

    ReplyDelete