Monday, November 22, 2010

Dance the Night Away at Revolution Rock Bar!

I've been wanting to check out Revolution Rock Bar for over a year now, but every time I go, I'm greeted with a monstrous line and an ugly cover charge. This weekend, however, we concocted a fool-proof plan. Since it was a friend's birthday, they were willing to drop the $10 cover down to $5 (which is more in my comfort zone, especially for a place I've never been). Actually $10 isn't a bad cover for a Saturday night in that area, but what can I say, I like to save my money for the drinks!

RRB as Im going to call it from here on out...is located on on High Street (right by newly opened Howl at the Moon - which btw STILL has a huge line outside at 9pm that you couldn't pay me to stand in). We decided to venture over early, and lucky for us, we beat the line! I know 9:30 is a little early to put your party shoes on, but by 10pm, the line was long and we were inside, coats checked ($3), drink in hand. Worth it!

The scene is very trendy - rocker stars and some faces reminiscent of pop art lined the room and the ceiling was covered in quotes. My favorite feature is the cow-print cubes that replace chairs around the room - though don't expect to sit down unless you've made a reservation for a group. All the seating areas on the main floor were reserved so wear some comfy shoes - you'll be doing a lot of standing!

By 10:30 the place was packed and the DJ was spinning up some tunes. A compliment to his skills, we actually debated whether we were listening to a pre-recorded mash-up for a while. Good songs, good mixing, generally good atmosphere. Although, at one point early on a fight broke out and there were no bouncers to be seen? Fortunately, the gentlemen involved were hammered and it didn't take much work to shove them out the door where they could continue their battle away from the crowd.

We checked out the lower level later in the evening (which had previously been completely empty) and found that the dance party was roaring there as well. Not sure if there was a second DJ, or if he just migrated with us...either way, the music was great.

My drink of choice was a rum and diet. They were good-sized and at $8, were a pretty good value as the bartenders didn't skimp on the rum. My first one was pretty much rum on the rocks, with a splash of coke. Eek! Better to have that problem though, than paying 8 bucks for a cup of soda with a thimble of alcohol in it, right?

All in all, I'd say a great place to go out as long as you're willing to get there early. Seems like they do a lot for groups, so if you're heading there for a bday celebration - call ahead and see if you can get a spot reserved and get a discount for your friends!

Rock on :)
Little B

No comments:

Post a Comment