Thursday, October 7, 2010

I’ve been holding out on you…the best burrito revealed…

Last night, after some much needed retail therapy (a girl’s gotta do something to lift her spirits in this crappy weather), I decided I was too tired to cook. Though I generally have a healthy sense of adventure, I wanted something reliably delicious, so I stopped into Cactus in Maverick Square (in Eastie – one T stop on the blue line from Aquarium). Honestly, I should have written this review from the start. The fact is I’ve secretly been comparing all burritos to my favorite burrito in the city this whole time. It gets a 10 in my book and I’ll do my best to explain why.

Cactus is a little hole-in-the-wall with maybe 3-4 tables and some counters with stools against the wall. My mouth starts watering every time I walk in from the sight and smell of the most delicious looking Mexican food, freshly prepared and waiting for me behind the counter. Though I typically stick to my order of a small chicken burrito (and there’s nothing small about it), I would venture to say that Cactus can do no wrong. I’m just too in love with this particular burrito to ever choose something new. These people know how to make good food, that’s all it comes down to.

So as I stand there waiting, they throw together some shredded chicken, guac, beans, hot sauce, sour cream, pico, cilantro, tons of cheese….I know none of this sounds particularly out of the ordinary for a burrito. But when they wrap that bad boy up and throw it on the grill for a minute, the end result is heaven. Perfectly melted, perfect balance of flavors…I honestly can’t praise it enough. And grab some Jarritos (soda) at the counter for the full experience.

I know my typical Mexican restaurant review consists of burritos, guac, and margaritas…but really, when you’re the best at one thing…best to just stick with that one thing. No margaritas here, and I’ve only had the guac IN a burrito, but trust me, you won’t be disappointed.

My apologies for holding out on you for so long…maybe I was just being selfish? Anywho, now you have it - my absolute favorite burrito. I dare you, Beantown, to find one better.

Feels good to be honest, doesn’t it?
Little B

No comments:

Post a Comment